Tuesday, April 20, 2010

About

Hi, I'm Ginger That's me up there in the top corner sitting on the steps of that cute little house. I wish it were mine but since it is actually Marie Antoinette's Hamlet cottage at Versailles, I think the upkeep and all those PEOPLE would be a detractor...but they do have very awesome vegetable garden!

I like to eat, drink and visit my daughter in France and my friends in Ireland and Scotland. If anyone in Italy, Spain, Turkey or, well, anywhere else unusual with good alcohol wants to be my friend I'll try to come visit you too!

While working on developing a much
larger recipe site documenting my strange and often entertaining endeavors
to learn how to cook and develop my own version of recipes, several
people noticed that I seemed to focus on developing recipes that involve
cooking with alcohol (mostly Irish and Scotch whisk(e)y. (The 'e'
denotes Irish whiskey). It's genetic. I'm a Scot/Irish girl.
(See my clan tartan on the sides? It's the Livingstone Muted #814)


One day one of my friends, the one
I send a lot of recipes to for her to test, decided my next cookbook
should be titled
"What
to cook with the Whiskey you don't drink ---like that's gonna happen".


My daughter-in-law, Stacey (who does
know how to cook) suggested I should just start a blog called 365 Days
of Cooking With Alcohol".


$70 worth of booze and making
good friends with the liquor store owner and here we are!



Really..did you know they make BACON
VODKA?
Right here in Oregon!


Life is good.


So here's the deal:


I am going to cook for 365 days with
alcohol. That is not to say they will be consecutive days. I am going
to try for that, but I suspect life might get in the way here and there,
hopefully though in the end, theoretically, you should be able to find
here, a year's worth of recipes of food to make with alcohol!

If I invent a few drinks here and there that's just a side bonus.


A little about us:

My husband (Jerry) loves to cook. He is the domestic god and
knows how to milk a goat. I work a ton of hours for a green energy developer and
now that all of our kids have grown up and moved out I am trying to learn to
cook real food. Jerry is teaching me. So far we are still married.



Jerry loves,love, loves cooking gadgets. We have a lot of
them. Who knew a butter slicer could come in so handy?



I love plants and animals. I don't mind eating some animals,
just not my friends. I like to grow my own herbs, veggies and fruits although
the deer are getting far more of them than we are. We have dogs, cats, donkeys,
goats, chickens and sometimes whatever gets abandon in our yard. (My friend got
a YAK dumped on her hahahaha...



...Except she is a darling, friendly Yak who is quite
photogenic especially when she sticks her tongue up her nose!)


We have a lot of kids who are now gracing
us with the most beautiful, cool, intelligent grandchildren anywhere.and
that goes way beyond the solar system etc. (our reward for letting
them live).


Our children do lots of cool things.
One of them is a wonderful web designer who set up the blog and keeps
it in working order. She is also working on another huge project you'll
find out more about later.


Also, fortunately for me, one of them
lives in France and so once a year I get to go hang with the culinary
best. (In a giant castle, yes really! Bon Jour Touffou!) Then I pop
on over to either Scotland or Ireland for a real fine genetic tune-up
with fine spirits. (Slainte to Nancy Murphy's in Enniskerry and Danny
Mann's in Killarney!)


The Recipes:


If I adapted it from something and
changed it pretty dramatically it's mine (or Jerrys). If it's from
a friend or family member, you'll know it.


If I got it from somewhere else I will
happily point you to it. There are some great places out there with
some talented, fun people kind enough to be sharing, I would love for
you to meet.


If you have any suggestions, I'm
game..I mean really, the tongue recipe requires you cut the taste
buds off...the Haggis...well requires locating a sheep stomach. You
can see I'm not really too squeamish.


This whole thing is really for fun
so please play nice
!


Nutritional Info:


Not going to happen.


We are cooking with alcohol, which
we are also drinking...so obviously it's not a priority and we might
get it wrong anyway (not unlike the FDA food guidelines).



Photos:


That's my other passion. I (or someone
else if I am in the picture) take the pictures with either my trusty
Canon Rebel or mylittle pocket Nikon Coolpix and on very rare occasion
my "Tool of Satan" (AKA Blackberry).

Advertising:

Are we planning on making money on this? H*LL yes!.... (at least that's the theory) I mean really, how are we going to pay for all this food and booze???? Send people..send friends..send anyone who likes food and/or booze... Send anyone you know who works for a food/booze company. Send your enemies..I'll do a special nasty food section and email you the link.....(Do you know how many ways I found to cook rats? I even found one that recommends you use drunken wharf rats so we are still on topic.)

The more the merrier. Everyone loves a good party.


No comments:

Post a Comment